Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Flower Identification

When we put in the landscaping last year, there were many plants listed on the plan. What they didn't list were the volunteers, and they have been the most fun to watch this year. I just don't know what they are!


On the right are beautiful pink flowers with yellow centers. I was wondering about clearing them out, thinking they would be good as cut flowers, then I realized I would have to cut them if that were the case. I did, and they're now brightening the kitchen. The yellow ones below have similar leaves. They all got three and even four feet tall. Anyone know what they are? I'd like to set them out intentionally next year!

We had other volunteer flowers, but we won't mention the nut sedge. We hate nut sedge. It is of the devil. It's mostly gone now, thanks to many weekends of weeding, and I have about 20% of the back landscaping covered in newspaper and mulched now. Only 80% to go.....



This is purple fountain grass, and I just love it when it feathers out. This is our best one; the others didn't do as well. There's a stand of it on 3040 and it's great to see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look like Zinnias to me. But almost all flowers look like Zinnias to me. LOL

AnnG said...

I have no clue what the flower is, but is the patch on 3040? I would love to go take a closer look!