
What? You thought I wasn't going to post about this?
I spent a lot of time thinking about it. Should it be funny? Serious? Poignant? Can I spell poignant?
I had a few ground rules. No baby pictures. No cute stories. No metaphors.
I'm ready for him to go. His staying here would be wrong, the way pulling up a plant you've been nurturing is wrong. (Dang metaphors.) I know it's time. So why do I feel bereft? It's more than giving up control; I gave that up long ago. It's not that someone else will be teaching him; he's had other teachers for years. It's not that he could have a wreck, although that is always on my mind. It's just the hole he leaves here. Our little family of four is now four, take away one. From here on, his experiences are his, and we share only what he chooses to share. He'll make new friends, new decisions, new directions. We'll watch, from a distance. I am already in awe of the person he's become. I expect that will continue.
He's ready. I'm ready. And I'll miss him.
3 comments:
I agree. It's all about the hole. You work all those years to get them to the point that they are fun to have around, and then they leave. It's like building or remodeling a house and then moving as soon as it's done. Crazy, huh? But that's what we gotta do. And I'm told that the hole gets filled by grandkids eventually and they're worth the wait. . .
Very true...I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Moving day is tomorrow for us. We are still trying to pack stuff, of course he's off with friends today, so I'm just looking at all his stuff wondering where to store it all and if he wants to hang onto for the future. At least I know I'm not alone in this transition!
You are right Karen, it's about the hole that is left. It's a pain like while we were waiting for Grant. Only in the opposite sense.
I am so happy for her. She has become such a fine young woman. She is going to do wonderful things. For me the hardest part is coming to the realization that now I will only know what she chooses to share with me. I pray that God will help me to weather the transition because it isn't easy, it isn't easy at all. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
Post a Comment