Dear Daddy:Today you're 76. I just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed seeing you and Mother this past weekend. It's always fun to watch you with your grandkids, and to watch you watching them. I know how much they mean to you.
I also want you to know that your courage right now does not go unnoticed. I hate Parkinson's. I hate everything about it, but I'm awed by your grace and acceptance as you adjust to the new way your body responds. We haven't forgotten that you could do handstands when you were younger. I know that boy is still in there, and his humor and wit show all the time. I want you to know that when I look at you, I just see my dad, the one who would throw me in the air, the on
e who preached such wonderful sermons, the one who played softball and volleyball and golf and coached Little League.I love the prayers you offer every time we part, for safe travel. They weave protection over all of us.
I am so thankful for the Christian example you've been as a husband and father, especially to your grandchildren. They're watching, and I know they're learning from you. I love that my parents were always affectionate, to the point of embarrassment when I was younger, but I'm grateful now.

Thank you for the friend and mentor you are to our son as he uses your house far too much while he's in college. He tells us Papa stories all the time, and his love and respect for you has grown immensely this past year. And I so appreciate your advice and counsel to our daughter as she navigates the teen years. It won't be forgotten.
I especially enjoyed getting to read all your old letters to your mom and sister this week. It's a history of our family, from the years when you worried you'd never find a wife, to marriage, to fatherhood, and then to grandchildren. Your faith and humor and love for your family shows in all of them. I'm so glad we have them!
I'm not writing this because I'm worried it will be too late if I don't. I'm writing because it's long past due. As much as we talk and laugh and have fun together, we don't always take time to stop and say thanks. Thank you for all that you are. Happy birthday, and many more!

Love,
Karen
1 comment:
Sweetest thing ever Karen.
Post a Comment