
Every two years my brother and his family visit from Germany, so of course we must all make the pilgrimage to the parental estate in Arkansas and hang out. The cousins play nonstop, the rest of us catch up on news, we eat too much, we sleep when we can. Good times.
My aunt had told me for years about a sweater she'd knitted for my dad when he was a teenager. She said it had a hole in it and wanted to see if I could fix it. I love repairing woolens, so I waited to see if she could find it. This past weekend, she mentioned it to my dad, who disappeared and came back with the sweater. Oh. Should have thought of that sooner.
Anyway, this is exquisite work. It's wool, at a gauge of 9 stitches per inch. It looks like machine knitting but she hand-knitted it in the round.
She must have used tiny needles; she didn't remember the size and didn't know needles came in more than one size, for that matter.
You see the problem. It's a moth hole, oversewn some time ago. What I want to do is pick out the oversewing and repair the cable. I've emailed the Knitlist to see if anyone has any ideas, but right now I think I could use the salvaged repair yarn to splice into one side of each chewed-off row, redo the cable, then weave in the other end. It'll depend on how well I can remove the yarn from the repair. There's another tiny hole in the ribbing but I can weave that easily enough.
I do love a challenge!
No comments:
Post a Comment