Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Chasing my tail



Three long, long weeks ago I started working more. Have you heard the one about the stay-at-home mom who didn't anymore? Yeah, I didn't think it was funny, either.

The tired part is like a whole new thing. It's fall-asleep-at-the-doctor's tired. Fall-asleep-in-front-of-the-TV tired. I fall asleep at the office, in the school pick up line, at stoplights. Yes, I'm getting seven hours a night, most nights. Go figure.

The cases keep me up some nights. I second-guess everything. The list of what I need to do grows.

I haven't knitted in three weeks because I fell asleep when I sat down.

So.

I've added on vitamins, gag-inducing minerals, omega-3's, and such things as to give me the stuff I supposedly need. I'm exercising; not much, but more than before. I've cut waaayy back on the junk food and replaced it with Ghirardelli Dark, to be taken internally, one per diem.

After the May sweeps, I'm tossing most of the shows. Guess what? On CSI Anywhere, someone will die and then someone else will furrow their brows and run about in high heels and zoomy camera shots and figure out who done it. On Grey's Anatomy, someone will sleep with someone else, and God help those poor people in the hospital because they're essentially on their own. They find themselves having to perform life-saving maneuvers on each other because the doctors are all in linen closets having carnal relations. On Desperate Housewives, the carnal relations bloom all over Wisteria Lane, and another minor character dies. (Hint to up and coming actors: if they want you for a three-episode arc on DH, run!) I'll keep ER, well, for the same reason that you keep inviting Aunt Betty to Thanksgiving; you've had her at the house every year for so long that Thursday dinner just wouldn't be the same without her.

That'll free up several hours a week.

Giving me time to fall asleep in many new places.

Good thing I love my job.

No comments: