Thursday, January 17, 2008

Quotes on Communication

Another thing I thought of shortly after January 1st, as a goal, but not to indicate a resolution of any sort, was to blog something at least weekly even if it was admired quotes instead of my own meanderings.

To wit, then, Part One of an Occasional Series:


Ambrose Bierce:
Heaven, n.: A place where the wicked cease from troubling you with talk of their personal affairs, and the good listen with attention while you expound your own.


(The Blogger's Heaven, must be!)

Clarence Darrow:
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to speak it to?


(Sorrowfully, I must agree.)

Joseph Priestley:
The more elaborate our means of communication, the less we communicate.

(Another indictment of the computer age.)

Willa Cather:
The dead might as well try to speak to the living as the old to the young.

(Did Willa Cather have teenagers?)

Rudyard Kipling:
Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.

(Spoken by a master.)

Michel de Montaigne:
I quote others only in order the better to express myself.

(Enough said!)



No comments: