Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dreaming

Since starting some hormones recently, I have been sleeping a bit better and dreaming much more. I think that denotes REM sleep, in which I was apparently deficient. These are not dreamy dreams, they're my subconscious working overtime. There was the one about the three story house, the top floor of which we were moving into, while a restaurant occupied the second floor and a vet clinic the first. My life, in a nutshell. Last night I dreamed I had a new baby boy, with the attendant sleepless nights and nursing trauma. Oy.




It's the waking dreams I'm thinking of lately, though, and they still revolve around houses. No matter that I hate moving, and that we have no plans to do so, I always love looking at houses. Lately, it's been the dream of building a house off the grid, thumbing my nose at the electric company, the gas people, the cable guy. I'll keep the garbage collectors, though; they're saints. This community has lots of acreage out in the middle of housing developments, where it's apparently not worth running city services, and I always wonder if you could plunk a house down out there. Not just any house, but a straw bale one, or a log cabin kit, or even one of old tires. An Earthship. I admire my friends who've built their own houses, and I think it would be so cool to do that one day. Check out the inside of an Earthship:



I like the walls with bottles. I could live with that.



We had a youth rally at church tonight with David Fraze as speaker and Bob Smiley for the entertainment. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. My advice: get some serious belly laughs at least once a week. Your psyche will thank you.

No comments: