Tuesday, May 13, 2008

New things in my world

Some are large, some are small.

Large is... the first Mother's Day without both my kids. A week ago I would have been mildly surprised to be told how much I'd miss the big guy, but I do. He left for a three week mission trip in Germany last Friday. He's safely there, with my brother and his family, and it'll be a great experience, and... I really miss him. Did I mention it will be three weeks? Any idea how long 19 days is? It's really long. But I had a great day with the husband and the kid who's here, and the kid who's gone left me a card and some cookies, so it's all good.

Medium new thing: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe. I got it for Christmas because I knew I wanted to make a scrapbook for us and the other two families we vacation with every year. That's eleven years to catch up with, and I knew it would never happen with paper and scissors. Enter digital scrapbooking and I'm having a ball!

Other medium new thing, although hardly unexpected: Emily's last day of school today. Done. Her friends were sending text videos of the various ways they were destroying their grammar books, so I offered the fireplace. She hasn't torched anything yet, but it may just be a matter of time. I may torch it myself. And next year she'll be a five day student and the theory is that we won't have the homework we've had to do this year. She'll get it done at school. That's the theory. I'm clinging to it with all my fading strength.

Small new thing... started the baby gift, a blue monkey. Because of all the knitted softies I surfed, I liked the monkey, and I have blue wool. Because I want to felt it. No, the pattern is not for felting. Yep, I'm just winging the blue monkey. Which is (you guessed it) a pretty good name for a rock band. Note: the picture is not a blue monkey, which mine will be. Glad we cleared that up.

And I have sprouts in the garden! No, I won't post pictures! What, you've never seen sprouts before? Ignore my office manager, who laughed maniacally when I told her I'd planted 12 watermelon and 12 cantaloupe plants in an area approximately 4 ft by 4 ft. I said I'd thin them out. More laughter. I said I could thin them more. She mentioned watermelon vines taking over the swingset. I'm holding my head high and I love my little sprouts, who would never take over my back yard, and I like watermelon, so bring it on.

No comments: