Sunday, April 20, 2008

Then we're awake. But we're very puzzled.


The kids are away at a youth retreat, so naturally the husband and I got wild and crazy last night and watched.... Blazing Saddles.


It's been awhile since we last saw it. Shut up.


So. Random thoughts.


*Mel Brooks is the Drew Carey of the 70s. He surrounds himself with funny people, writes funny comedy, but is not actually, personally, funny. And no one dares tell him.


*I love Gene Wilder.


*Ditto Cleavon Little. Whatever happened to him? I see; died in 1992.


*I need to make a cake for the church luncheon tomorrow.


(Folds fourth load of laundry today, two more to go.)


*IMDB lists tons of Mongo references in other movies in the Blazing Saddles trivia section. Oh, right, the giant cookie in Shrek 2. And "Candygram!" in one of my favorite SNL skits, the Land Shark. Of course!


*Nothing cut from this version, far as I can tell. Let's see.... N word, farts, all intact. I saw it on TV once where they bleeped the farts and the scene made no sense at all. I'm not usually an advocate for audible flatulence, but this is crucial to the plot line.


*I could make the cake now and still be in bed by eleven.


*I'm guessing if we had Sean here watching this, he'd be bored, critical, or both. It doesn't move fast enough, the jokes are lame, the humor is puerile (he wouldn't say puerile). He might have liked the fart scene.


*I shouldn't, but I love Mongo punching the horse. Great. IMDB says it's based on a true event when Sid Caesar once knocked a horse unconscious. OK, maybe I don't love it.


*Young Frankenstein is still better.


*I'll make the cake in the morning.

No comments: