Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Knitting and Movie Updates

Hi, coming up for air for a moment here. Between Saxon 7/6 and Shurley Grammar and Latin and Geometry and Chemistry and Biology and English, there hasn't been much time for this poor neglected blog. And my sense of humor has taken a hit, so I can't even be trippingly light-hearted about this particular page in our lives. Grim, I am. Therefore, let us turn to knitting.

I have more projects on the needles than usual. The ongoing mystery gift, Emily's crocheted shrug, and a hat for a child on the reservation are in heavy rotation. I'll do a matching scarf as soon as the hat is done. The hat is on double points, so I'll take it and the long-suffering socks to my knitting class this Friday so I can demonstrate knitting in the round. The dishcloth, afghan, and vest are all on hold. I delivered about 50 pairs of booties to the Crisis Pregnancy Center today, but that wasn't my work. There are some wonderful ladies in Halfknits who have contributed there.

The movie last week was Arsenic and Old Lace. Is there a sicker comedy out there? It was a lot of fun and I think the teens liked it as well as anything we've had so far. The IMDB trivia page said that it was Cary Grant's least favorite movie, and I can see why, but it was still charming. No one can say "darling" like he can.

Next week: The Maltese Falcon. I hope I can generate more appreciation for it than I did the first time around. To me it felt like a bunch of cliches, in the same way that Shakespeare is just a bunch of quotes strung together. I'll have to remind the kids that it was basically the first film noir, that it set the standard for the rest of Bogart's characters, that it was Sydney Greenstreet's first film ever, and to watch Peter Lorre. A more underplayed, talented actor is hard to find.

No comments: