Here is our column for the women's newsletter at church this month:
Emily: Spring break this year was great, don’t you think?
Karen: I really liked getting out of town and spending a few days with just us girls. San Antonio with the whole family was fun, too.
Emily: I liked getting splashed by Shamu! Apparently you didn’t, since I had to stand in front of you.
Karen: And don’t think I don’t appreciate it.
Emily: I like getting away because I wanted to go someplace different. I’m tired of following the same schedule every single day.
Renewal is something we tend to put off. We’ll get to it when we have time, when we can take a break. And although I certainly felt somewhat refreshed after the trip last week, it was partly negated by the mountain of laundry and overdue chores that awaited us when we got back. You know. You’ve been there!
I don’t think renewal is something that can only be accomplished by a vacation, preferably far away and accompanied by the spending of large amounts of money. If we wait till we’re on vacation, we’re raising our expectations to the breaking point. In two weeks or less a year, you have to cram family time, quality time, entertainment, education, and personal growth, while saving gas, avoiding fast food, and enjoying yourself, no matter what. It’s no wonder that we return more tired than when we left!
Find renewal wherever you are. It can be in your garden, in a few minutes at the park, or curled up with a magazine. It can be in your early morning Bible reading, or a cup of overpriced coffee. It can be at a stoplight if you wish. Cultivating a sense of constant renewal, being aware of God’s presence in our lives and trying to understand His plan is part of our humanity. We must step outside ourselves and maintain that sense of perspective and balance that is afforded those who walk in the Light.
In an age where being busy is a badge of honor, embrace that which is slow. Look for the quiet spots, and remember them. Surround yourself with time enough.
Karen: So where would you like to go on a vacation if you could go anywhere?
Emily: Hawaii, or Africa, or England. Those are the places I’ve always wanted to visit.
Karen: For me it would be New Zealand or Greece. I’m afraid we’re going to have to just explore Flower Mound for now, though.
Emily: I guess that’ll have to do, then!
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment