Thursday, March 29, 2007

Spring break



The guys had to work, but us girls had a few days off and I had no intention of spending them in the city. Not this city, anyway.




Emily and I packed up and took off to my uncle's farm ("Ranch!" she says) in Brenham, TX. To be honest, one of the biggest reasons was that a few months ago she looked up at the sky at night and sighed, "I wish I could see stars." You don't see them here at night, with the lovely yellow-washed nights next to DFW airport, and I thought it was worth a field trip.


On the way, we stopped by Washington-on-the-Brazos, to see where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed. That's it, right there in the picture. It was a bit underwhelming, but hey, not everyone has Philadelphia.


The farm/ranch was great, as usual. Emily and my uncle rode horses and the four-wheeler, while I got to catch up on knitting and sitting. I did get called into service to check out this creature:
I hadn't seen a soft-shelled turtle outside a zoo, so it was pretty cool. I carried it down to the creek and we released it there.
After two days we came back home and then headed to San Antonio with the guys. Walking the Riverwalk and SeaWorld took a couple of days and then we were back home. It gets the wanderlust out of my blood for a little while.
The big knitting projects are out of the bag now. I decided it wouldn't be prudent to keep them secret if they didn't fit, so when my parents were here a couple of weeks ago I took them out and let them try them on. There will be a little reconstruction on one, but nothing too bad. I just hope the yarn there holds out, or it's back to Ebay for more. Pictures to come!

No comments: