Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Both Sides Now, August

Emily: So what did you actually do for fun when you were a kid?
Karen: I played outside with the neighbor kids a lot. In the winter, we’d build a fort with discarded Christmas trees and have war games. There were always some stray cats having kittens in the spring and we’d play with those. Summers were long and hot and I would read a lot and watch some TV.
Emily: Well now I swim at my friend’s house, we play video games together, and we go to each other’s houses. And we email each other.
Karen: And if you went back in a time machine and told me that, I’d have to say, “Video? Email? What’s that?” Do you think you have more fun than I did?
Emily: Yeah, because we have a lot more things to do and science has created cooler things for us to do.

Let’s look at that last statement: “Science has created cooler things for us to do.” Oh, really? Cooler than sitting in a tree with a favorite library book? Cooler than seeing if you can make it from one end of the block to the other on backyard fences without ever touching the ground? I doubt it.
I realize I am moving into old-fogey territory, but even while we take advantage of all that technology has to offer, we still try to unplug the kids once in awhile. Our annual vacation with friends is coming up, and is always a good time to stretch out and watch the planet revolve. The kids stay busy with hikes and outdoor activities, and the grownups catch up on each others’ lives.
I often struggle with the realities of living a suburban life. It’s tempting to feel as if you’re running on a treadmill, and only the times you get out and away are meaningful, but that’s not true. It all counts. Even the most mundane items on your to-do list can be lived fully and consciously. I don’t want to fall into the trap of feeling as if I’m marking time between vacations, or waiting till work is done to enjoy the day. The day is here now. My trip to the bank, seeing my next client, and lying in a hammock are all deserving of my full attention.

Karen: OK, maybe I spent more time reading and watching Star Trek reruns, but we still had fun!
Emily; How? I mean, it’s Star Trek.
Karen: Good point. I still think that kids manage to have fun no matter what decade they live in. They can create fun out of nothing if they have to.
Emily: I could do that. If I had to!

1 comment:

AnnG said...

Our kids think they have to have 'something' to do 24/7 and if they don't they are bored....maybe a little boredom would be good for them, huh? I know it would be good for me!