Monday, April 07, 2008

Springy!



I've wanted a garden since we moved in here, and I finally got it! It's a little thing, 16'x4', but by golly, it's a garden. I was going to be rational and buy seeds after due consideration, but I was at the grocery store and saw some and grabbed them. What fun! I'll set out tomato plants soon, use lettuce as a border in the landscaping, and will be growing watermelon, canteloupe, carrots, and snow peas from seed. Picked up some lavender, too, just for fun.

David put in a back-breaking weekend getting the sod dug out and the frame put up. I wanted it raised, so I still need to go buy some more dirt. (Buying dirt... only in suburbia.) Here it is half done:


And here's my Charlie Brown fig tree:


It's cute! It's the only fruit tree I'm allowed, but we always had figs growing up and I've wanted one forever. You just wait. He'll be a big strong tree before you know it!
I still need more flowers for the front landscaping, but it's all looking like it survived the winter pretty well. The transplanted crape myrtle (above) is leafing out, which was a happy surprise. The transplanted bushes aren't doing so well, but it'll be a miracle if they live. They would be the bundles of sticks to the right of the garden. I can still hope!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And who said vets couldn't FARM!

Go KAren
Rex A.