Monday, August 18, 2008

Why We Love Them

It's the first day of school. I was up around 4:45, to see my brother and his family off to Germany, then I checked my email and the news headlines, put some chocolate chip muffins in the oven to bake, and woke my daughter with a backrub.

Did I say daughter? She was when she went to bed, but overnight she was replaced by Surly the Preteen. The morning was accompanied by sidewise glances, groans, and long periods of silence. I made her lunch, packed her backpack, double checked her supplies, reminded her to put her phone on silent. She hated the rain, school, morning, and life in general. I dropped her off with a cheerful grin, which was not returned.

Doesn't matter, because no one can rain on my parade today. It's my first adult day in... a long time, and I intend to make the most of it. I have a list of things to do as long as my arm, and the whole school year to accomplish it. I'm still ambivalent about the five day school, but my hope is that we'll have actual time together in the afternoons, not homework time. And I will maintain that smile in the face of Surly the Preteen, because I know something she doesn't: it's good to be an adult!

1 comment:

Kat said...

I love this post and I love your attitude!

Have a great day!