Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Past

Well, maybe I found the spirit of Christmas after all. I enjoyed the time with my family and extended family, and the decorations have all been nice, and we saw a living Nativity in Branson, caught Charlotte's Web, but it wasn't any of that.

We were strolling through Silver Dollar City, all bundled up, the kids running from ride to ride, the adults smiling and nodding at passers-by. I heard a little voice:

"Tidings of comfort and joy."

It was in a monotone, and tiny, and it kept up. "Tidings of comfort and joy. Tidings of comfort and joy. Tidings of comfort and joy." I mean a serious monotone; sounded robotic.

From behind came a dad pushing a stroller with a two year old all muffled in her parka and hat and scarf. And from the muffler came the chant: "Tidings of comfort and joy."

Dad finally had all he could take. In an overly bright tone, he pleaded, "Stephanie, do you know any more of the song?" He hummed a few bars.

Stephanie was having none of it. "Tidings of comfort and joy. Tidings of comfort and joy. TIDINGS OF COMFORT AND JOY. TIDINGS OF COMFORT AND JOY!" It got louder but no less robotic and as they walked ahead of me, I could still hear it, drifting back in the cold air.

Tidings of comfort and joy. I think that's what I was missing. We had a devotional with just our family Sunday morning before beginning the drive back, and I asked Sean to read from Luke 2. The first few verses brought tears to my eyes.

I'm tired of acquisition and all things holiday. But I wish you tidings of comfort and joy.

1 comment:

Lara said...

Dear Karen,

Thanks for the "Tidings of Comfort and Joy!"

I got that video on my blog from Mark Moore. He was a missionary in Uganda several years ago. I think he and another teammate of his have an organization called Kibo Group: http://www.kibogroup.org/.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2007!

Lara Noah