Tuesday, January 09, 2007

2007

A Blog Odyssey. Seriously, am I the only one who thinks the last eight years sound like science fiction? And the one before that was a Prince song?

res-o-lut-ion: (n.) The subsiding or termination of an abnormal condition, such as a fever or an inflammation.

I can go with that. Let's terminate abnormal conditions and return to... whatever constitutes normal for you and yours. Emily posed a conundrum the other day: If no one is normal, how do we know what normal is? I don't know, but fortunately, I don't have to. Resolution #1:

I am no longer a walking encyclopedia.

She asked me the other day how a laser printer works. I said it, well, it used a laser to, um... print. She looked at me. I looked at her. "Magic," I said. "It's magic. Next question." I've found that covers a host of things. How faxes work. How babies are born. Why popular music is popular (oh, wait. That would be mass hypnotism. Sorry.)

Another one:

I'll stop feeling guilty about not exercising.

Carrying around guilt is about the only exercise I've gotten in the last six months. I may start exercising again. I may not. I don't care. Neither should anyone else. Next!

The kids will help around the house.

Note the assumed victory in the above statement. It's important when returning to normal conditions that one acts as if one is normal already, despite all appearances to the contrary. We've had guests over the holidays and the house stayed reasonably picked up and danged if I don't like it that way. Also danged if I plan on being the only one to keep it that way. We're hacking out two human beings here and they're far from ready. One of them, especially, has to be somewhat self-sustaining in just a couple of years, a prospect that should make anyone shudder.

I will read one nonfiction book for every fiction book. Or at least at the same time.

I've read far too few nonfiction books this past year, so I'm going to keep one on the back burner, if for no other reason than to have something to say when someone asks what I'm reading. It's much more admirable to haul around Rob Bell than Stuart Woods.

Let's see, does that sum it up? I'm also going to knit jewelry this year (or not, who knows) and I doubt I'll eat any better or take vitamins more than fitfully. I think that covers the major categories.

re·solve (v.) re·solved, re·solv·ing, re·solves

No comments: