Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Another movie night

Kids will be back tomorrow night. Last night's movie was 50 First Dates. Always cute; one movie that no matter how many times I see it I both laugh out loud and get choked up.

And then David turned on the TV tonight and we have:
Old Beverly Hillbillies episode, a particularly annoying one. Mr. Drysdale thinks the Clampitts are actors. It's a very early one.
The same Andy Griffith episode that was on last night. Goober got the girl, if you can believe that.
Last thirty minutes of Easy Rider. I really hate that movie. Especially the last thirty minutes.
So he turned it to another movie, one he'd never seen, and here were my thought processes (keep in mind I'm reading the sequel to The Graduate right now.)

Dustin Hoffman is running.
"Oh!" I say. "A feel-good movie! Light little comedy!" I may have been what they call a little sarcastic at this point. "Remind me I have to make a dentist appointment!"
"Great," says my husband. "Now I know someone gets their teeth pulled out." He hates knowing anything about movies ahead of time. I point out that I said nothing about teeth pulling.
All I can think of is The Graduate. Running. The Runner? No. More of a race, something about a race, running, Hoffman....
Marathon Man. At least 60 seconds to think of a movie I should have on the tip of my tongue.

This is how my brain works now. I have the same problem when I have to recall a patient's name or condition or what I did last Friday.

So far the thing is as disjointed as I remember. Much like my memory. Really, does anyone recall anything about this movie besides "Is it safe?" Which still gives me the heebies. And I'm in no hurry for that dentist's appointment now.
____________________________________________________________

On the nightstand:

Double Cross, by James Patterson (Just finished, actually. His italics drive me up a wall. So distracting.)

Home School, by Charles Richard Webb. The aforementioned sequel to The Graduate. Benjamin and Elaine are defending their right to homeschool their two boys, eleven years later. I am not making this up! Not a Simon and Garfunkel song in sight.

The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell, about, like, how epidemics start. Something like that. Meant to read it several years ago.

Close, by Martina Cole. Brain candy, looked distracting.

How Good Do We Have To Be? by Harold Kushner, everyone's favorite rabbi.

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga, by Deepak Chopra. Didn't realize it was by Oprah's (hey, it rhymes!) pet yogi till I got it home. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Pilgrims, by Elizabeth Gilbert. A book of short stories by the author of Eat, Pray, Love.

Finding My Balance, by Mariel Hemingway, because it's about yoga and I always thought she was hot.

And a book on modular knitting. I have a scarf in mind, but who knows when that will happen!

No comments: