Monday, July 07, 2008

Missing children



Boy, do I miss them. This is the third time Sean has gone to the long session, but only the first time that Emily will be away for 11 days. And today she called, in tears, homesick and with an earache and my mommy lion just came unhinged and I wanted her home NOW and I knew I couldn't let on. So I gave the pep talk, and we came up with an action plan (go see the nurse, make some friends, talk to her counselor). Then I called my mom to ask her to go by and texted our youth minister to check on her.

And Mimi is taking her to the doctor tomorrow to check out the ear, and she's feeling a little better, albeit still teary, and I still want her home, but I can't do that. Sometimes I hate the growing up part. And thank goodness for camp that's near grandparents!

Ach. What else.... my cantaloupe and watermelon, as promised, are taking over the garden. The tomatoes, geez, they're junglicious, the Little Garden of Horrors down on the end. I'll get pictures. But my fig tree today sighed and turned yellow. I don't know what's going on. Half the mondo grass in front is brown, even as it's blooming. Nut sedge is taking over the landscaping. All fun stuff.

And yes, the serenity is holding on, for now. I was scrubbing tubs today, thinking of how you just immerse yourself in the moment, and that moment was one to do my best, and not think of what was next or how my back hurt, or what I'd rather be doing. It was just scrubbing, and I scrubbed gloriously.

Back to work tomorrow, where Serenity will get its biggest challenge yet. Bring it on!

No comments: