Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'm great at making to-do lists; I have many of them. But checking them off, not so much. Imagine my surprise when in the last couple of days I have:
  • Mailed the get-well and graduation cards I had sitting around. Yes, graduation cards.
  • Ordered Emily's school books, a process involving mysterious ISBNs and constant cross-checking of book lists.
  • Ordered school uniforms for next year.
  • Gotten Sean enrolled in the local community college for dual credit. More time on the computer, checking classes and schedules and ratemyprofessors.com and a trip to the college and unnecessary notarization and an unscheduled discussion of the secretary's trip to Germany as we imperceptibly inched out the door.
  • Ordered Sean's school books online.
  • Taken Emily to the orthodontist. No braces for another six months. But eventually, braces.
  • Gathered, collated, and posted all the school books and kits I have for sale. Not a big response so far, so Ebay is next.
  • Posted a troubling bird case on VIN, waited for an answer from the bird gurus, one of whom eventually told me to tell the owner to give the bird away. Not helpful.
  • Oh! And while looking for last year's continuing education paperwork, found Sean's lost paycheck, his test file I haven't seen in a year, and volumes 1-9 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Unfortunately, I've just spent weeks putting them on library request and now Emily's read them all, but if she ever wants to read them again, I'm all set.
But a such a list, with the checkoffs! I feel so accomplished. I can write new lists now!

I still have Abba songs in my head. Right now, it's "Take a Chance on Me." Next it'll be "Dancing Queen," or "Waterloo." They won't go away.

We have a bunny living in the back yard, hummingbirds fighting over the feeder, a nest of wrens just fledging, and a family of chipmunks seen running up the tree in the front yard. Who'd have thought that a little landscaping would make this Wild Kingdom?

P.S. Proving again that hubris never pays, I just realized I totally forgot that I was supposed to go by and pick up a book today from an online seller. Going now to send an apologetic email....

No comments: