Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Snow"

Today's Weather:

Hildesheim
44...50 F
Searcy, AR
30...39 F
Bartlesville, OK
23...34 F
Springfield, MO
26...32 F
Flower Mound, TX*
28...30 F


What's wrong with this picture? If I wanted to live with snow, I'd live somewhere like Germany, where they are perversely enjoying sweater weather today. I didn't even know it had "snowed" until I saw the school closing notice in my email this morning. (For any Northerners who may be reading this, in Texas, "snow" refers to any flakes falling, whether or not they "accumulate.")
Even worse are the TV morning shows. I haven't seen Matt and Meredith in three days.
"We're going live to Tom in the Mixmaster. Tom, how are conditions there?"

"Well, Jane, it appears that the snow is still falling. Let's look at the live camera we have on the roof of the TV van, and yes, I believe that is snow. Going back to our live shot of the Mixmaster, you can see a truck making its way slowly along the overpass, and ... oh.... well, it looks like he's going to make it, but there's no doubt that it's actually snowing out there!"


"Thank you, Tom. Now we'll go live to Mick who is standing by live on Central Expressway. Mick?"

"Hello, Jane. I just made a snowball."


"That's quite a snowball, Mick. How are conditions there, live?"


"Well, Jane, it looks like traffic is moving along nicely, although that fellow there is going a little too fast.... no, it looks like he's going to be fine. But do be careful out there. Those roads are going to be slick! Maybe there will be accidents. Live!"


"Thank you, Mick. We'll go back to Dave in our weather center. Dave, how are conditions on the roof where you're live?"


"I just made a snowman, Jane. Tell Mick I have more snow here than he does."


(Chuckling) "You sure do, Dave. How is the snow?"


"Well, it's still here. Sure looks like snow. Here's a live closeup of the other camera, and if you'll zoom in there, you can see how it looks like snow. We'll be standing by, live!"


Sheesh. Schools are closed, offices are closed, people are stocking up on soup and water and firewood. Meanwhile, we'll be hunkered down here with a half gallon of milk, hot chocolate mix, tea, and homework. The electricity's on, I have several knitting projects to choose from, Christmas decorations to store away, and one library book I haven't finished yet. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close.

Speaking of knitting (she said as she glanced at the title of the blog) I've been waylaid by a couple of charity projects. I've set aside the big stuff for now to get this done:

On the left we have a scarf for a friend who's collecting them for a fundraiser. The yarn is Joann's Sensations Angel Hair, one of those foofy yarns I hardly ever buy, but it's what she'd chosen. It's wonderfully soft and nice to work with. It's hard to see the detail, but I realized I'd be cross-eyed if I did the whole thing in rib as I first planned, so I adapted an online reversible cable, and that's what the main pattern is. There's one cable on one side and two on the other. The little cap is for Halfknits and I'm going to put a brim on it. Should be cute!

1 comment:

jettybetty said...

I've had some of the same thoughts--if I wanted to have weather like they do in Alaska, I could just move there. The reason I put up with 105 degrees in the summer is so I don't have ice in the winter. This year it's just not working out.
You described so well those spots we've seen on the news lately. =-)