Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Growing like a weed

Personally drawn by Chuck E. himself

I'm telling you, I'm going to start going to Chuck E. Cheese for all my portrait needs. This is Emily and me last week. She gets one of these every time we go, and I've been asked to sit in on a couple of sessions. Plus, they have Caffeine-Free Diet Coke, and in the new caffeine-free world I now inhabit, this is a rare thing indeed. I realize it is a noxious brew of chemicals, but there are times that noxious brews are exactly what are called for. Then you have your salad bar, and more-or-less edible pizza, and a place for the kids to run, and voila! A quiet little oasis of motherhood, give or take a giant rat or two, with the soothing clamor of video games. I can block all that out, if I get to chat with a friend.

Or just admit it: it's another bit of rapidly vanishing childhood. The girl turns double digits this summer and I can see her balanced on the thin edge of adolescence. I'm cherishing these last remnants of things she'll soon be too sophisticated for.

Case in point: she brought me dandelions a few weeks ago. I put the yellow blossoms in a jelly glass and set them in the window, and a week later, they'd turned to fluff. You could see the wheels turn: "Mom, are those the same things? I didn't know that!" She knew the fluff was weeds, but the others: weren't they pretty flowers? And I realized I'd just received my last dandelion bouquet. I'll miss them.

No comments: