Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Socks!

Dancing!
Only the second pair of adult socks I've done... these are the cable top socks from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, in Dancing from Knitpicks. I like the yarn; it's springy but feels great. No more short row toes for me; I'm still experimenting to find the best toe-up toe, but I'm hooked on the technique. The cable top rolls too much, but it's beautiful, even if it did take two tries to get started on it.

Socks are a journey. Whether you're heading down the leg or up the toe, they are a microcosm of travel. You start at the toe, concentrating, making sure you know where you're going, then you hit the foot. You can sit back, enjoy the journey, take in the scenery. Then comes the heel, you're sweating a bit as you take the curve, but things smooth out again and it's the long stretch of the leg. Then when you just can't wait to get there, finish it off and you're done!

I want to keep one pair going all the time, but I'm waiting on my new Addis from an Ebay store with great prices. Next up, though, is a pair of mittens in this yarn for Emily, then I have two more balls for more socks. Eventually, I hope to keep a pair for myself. These are destined for our youth minister's wife; a knitter who's had no time to knit. She graduates this week, needles at the ready!

No comments: