Monday, July 31, 2006

Living in the city

I've been rather negative about my environment lately. Websites like this help to focus my thinking. Here's an excerpt:

"The basic premise of Death by Suburb is that while the suburban environment may at times be toxic to your faith, the answer isn’t to flee. The answer is to stay. The answer is to figure it out. To build into your life the key spiritual practices that help us stay awake to the work of God in this world." (Dave Goetz)

So I'm working on finding the good things about living here in the middle of around five million people (I couldn't believe that figure either!)

Here's one. I was listening to it the other day (88.5 on your FM dial!) and the very first song cracked me up. It was David Cassidy, as I live and breathe, with "Doesn't Somebody Want to be Wanted," complete with the breathy spoken interlude. If anything, it was worse than when I first heard it as a preteen. I shuddered at it then, and I was a huge fan. To his credit, he had to be talked into speaking the bridge. Should've stuck to his guns. Next up, Bananarama's "Venus." That one was around till the 80s, at least. Then came Elvis' "Burning Love," a classic in anyone's book. Then, one of my top picks if I were wanting to blast music at a criminal during a hostage negotiation: "The Night Chicago Died." Next, "Don't Cry to Me," the Pointer Sisters' "Fire" (which I kept hearing Robin Williams as Elmer Fudd singing), and "Southern Nights." And that's, that's (I just looked it up) GLEN CAMPBELL? Is there not another version? Roy Clark, but that was no Roy Clark.

See what I mean? You're not going to find a lineup like this in a small town where they only get three radio stations and two of them are country. I still fondly remember the short-lived all-Beatles-all-the-time station that existed here, commercial-free, many years ago.

I'll be coming up with more props for the 'burbs later. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, what a flashback to my adolescence. I knew you were a David Cassidy fan. I remember debating with you the merits of David Cassidy versus Donny Osmond. But "The Night Chicago Died" does not take the prize for sappiest song. Remember "Billy, Don't be a Hero"?

Karen of TX said...

Good one. Maybe we could make an Ipecac Album. Let's include "Diary," by Bread, and of course, "Seasons in the Sun."