Saturday, July 08, 2006

With Liberty and Justice For All

The new pigs
(I thought of entitling this Pigs is Pigs, but thought that might be misconstrued by the guinea pig apologists.)

Introducing Liberty (on the left) and Justice, her baby boy! Emily has asked (prayed, begged, pleaded, groveled) for guinea pigs for about a year now. She'd made enough pet-sitting to pay for their initial setup and has been pet-sitting a friend's pig and still wanted them very much, so here we are.

I must admit, I fell for them as soon as I saw them. They're both cuddly (for guinea pigs) and enthusiastic eaters, as you can see. Justice is hard to appreciate in a picture; he's Abyssinian and his coat is just beautiful: glossy, black rosettes. They'll both give you kisses, so we're 5 for 5 on that. Hard to believe, but that's the most animals I've ever owned at one time. I've never been the pet collecting type, so I have no desire to push the envelope. Enough is enough. Along those lines, today's projects include putting a barrier in the cage so we can separate them for a couple of months until I can neuter Justice (let's just leave that potentially inflammatory phrase alone, shall we? It's too easy.)

And yes, we still have the other project, formerly known as the dining room, going. There are now eight swatches of paint on the walls, one remixed gallon and four more sample quarts, but I think we have a winner. By default, at least. We have less than two weeks to get ready for company and a birthday party, so the heat is on.

No comments: